Spin art is the technique of creating abstract works of art by squirting drops of paint onto a spinning sheet of paper. In America, it's a popular part of fairs and carnivals. Here, Megan at Brassy Apple, our first American contributor, shows how you can create spin art at home. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon with your children, provide some entertainment at a barbecue, or just bring some color into your own life!
- Bottled acrylic paint, various colors
- Thick paper (like construction paper)
- Cheap salad spinner
- Covering for work area (newspaper, cheap plastic tablecloth, etc.)
- Cover your work area.
- Remove the middle basket piece from the salad spinner, place it on the paper, and trace around it.
- Cut out several circles of this size.
NB: Cut just inside the traced line to ensure a good fit.
- Place a paper circle in the middle basket piece and place that back into the salad spinner.
- Squirt desired colors of paint onto the paper in any pattern.
- After all desired colors are applied, replace the salad spinner's lid and spin it.
- Remove the lid to see the result.
- Add more colors of paint and spin again, if desired.
- To remove paper, tilt the middle basket piece to the side and shake gently.
- Place paper somewhere flat to dry.
Source: Brassy Apple