This pair of child's shorts is perfect for children because it has neither front nor back, fly nor pockets. It's easy for them to wear and super simple for you to make, too!
It's the ideal item to throw into children's suitcases at the last minute, especially the day before you head out on a vacation to the beach!
These can be made with any material, in all colors, and for sizes ranging from 2-6 years old (U.S. sizes 3T-7).
For a pattern for a 6-year-old (U.S. size 7):
- 35 x 140 cm (14 x 55-1/8 inches) of fabric
- 48 cm (19 inches) of elastic with a width of 1 cm (3/8 inch)
- 46 cm (18-1/8 inches) for a 4-year-old (U.S. size 5/6)
- 44 cm (17-3/8 inches) for a 2-year-old (U.S. size 3T/4)
- Paper to draw a pattern on
- Basic sewing supplies
- Safety pin
The pattern given here is in the 6-year-old (U.S. size 7) size.
To make a 4-year-old size (U.S. size 5/6), decrease the 6-year-old pattern by: 1cm (3/8 inch) at the top, 2 cm (3/4 inch) at the bottom, and 2 cm (3/4 inch) in total width.
To make a 2-year-old size (U.S. size 3T/4), decrease the 6-year-old pattern by: 2 cm (3/4 inch) at the top, 2 cm (3/4 inch) at the bottom, and 4 cm (1-1/2 inches) in total width.
Make the cut
- Draw the pattern on a sheet of paper and cut it out.
- Fold your cloth in half, right sides facing each other.
- Position the pattern along the fold.
- Cut out the pattern.
- Put the pattern back on the fold and repeat above steps.
NB: Be careful with stripes and checks; it's best when the patterns match up.
- Baste and then sew the two pieces, right sides facing in, from the waist to the inseam, both front and back.
- Baste and then sew the inseam.
- Make a hem at the bottom of each leg:
- Fold 5 mm (1/16 inch) and then 10 mm (1/8 inch).
Assembly of the waistband
NB: The waistband is the sewn overlap you slip the elastic into.
- Make a waistband at the waist:
- Fold 5 mm (1/16 inch) and then 15 mm (3/16 inch).
- Sew, allowing an overlap of 3 cm (1-1/4 inches).
- Pass the elastic through the waistband with the aid of a safety pin.
- Sew together the 2 ends of the elastic.
- Close the opening with a selvedge stitch.
Source: Et moi alors dans tout ça !