A Tag Book (or Book of Tags, BOT) expands elegantly when needed, thanks to its bellows-inspired folds.
This is a scrapbooking classic for classifying and arranging decorated tags, which you can decorate with little words or in any other way. It's also an original way to store all sorts of small memories (locks of hair, event tickets, etc.).
For a Tag Book measuring 14 x 10 cm (5-1/2 x 3-15/16 inches), with tags measuring 7.5 x 12 cm (2-15/16 x 4-3/4 inches)
- Thick paper, various colors
- 28 x 10 cm (11 x 3-5/16 inches) cardstock
- HB (N° 2) pencil
- Cutting board
- Utility knife
- Double-sided adhesive
- From matching-colored papers, cut out rectangles measuring 21 x 18 cm (8-1/4 x 7-1/16 inches).
! - Each rectangle forms 2 pockets, so cut enough rectangles to make the number of pockets you want.
- On the 18-cm (7-1/16-inch) sides of the rectangles, draw 2 light lines at 8.5 and 9.5 cm (3-3/8 and 3-3/4 inches) from the edges.
- Fold one side to meet the line furthest from it.
- Do the same with the other side. The 2 sides should overlap by 1 cm (3/8 inch).
- Erase the lines.
- With the double-sided adhesive, connect the 2 flaps along the whole length of their overlap.
- Mark the middle of the 21-cm (8-1/4-inch) sides and fold each pocket in half at that mark, with the adhesive side on the inside.
- Put a strip of adhesive on the center of one of the flaps and attach the other one on top of it.
- Do the same with the rest of the rectangles.
- Attach all pockets on top of each other with adhesive.
- Measure the thickness of the pockets.
- Cut the cardstock as you like.
! - The more complicated cutting you do with the cardstock, the more difficult it will be to decorate.
- Mark the middle of the cardstock on the long side and, on each side of that mark, measure and mark half the thickness of the pockets.
e.g.: In this BOT, the pockets measure 1 cm (3/8 inch) thick, so the lines fall at 13.5 and 14.5 cm (5-5/16 and 5-11/16 inches) from one of the far sides.
- Fold along these 2 marks.
- Decorate the outside of the cover with paper and/or embellishments of your choice.
- Attach a ribbon centered along the inside length of the cover with adhesive before decorating the interior.
! - You can use another method to close the book, like ribbon passed through grommets, Velcro, etc.
- Decorate the inside of the cover.
! - This will be almost completely hidden by the pockets.
- Attach the pockets with a piece of adhesive centered along the length of the book.
- Create and decorate your tags.