Make a travel tic tac toe game from fabric and shrink plastic that will keep children entertained for a long time in the car, at the beach, at a friend's house, etc. Children can help make it, too!
Creation time: 3h
- 2 squares of cotton fabric, 35 cm (13-3/4 inches) each side (for the top and lining)
- 4 strips of fabric, 5 x 38 cm (2 x 15 inches)
- Bright embroidery floss
- Shrink plastic
- Aluminum foil
- Basic sewing supplies
- Embroidery needle
- Cut out these forms in the shrink plastic: 5 "X" shapes that are 10 cm (3-15/16 inches) long and 5 circles that are 10 cm (3-15/16 inches) in diameter.
NB: The shrink plastic shrinks to 7 times smaller when it cooks.
- Color the shapes with a crayon.
- Put them in an oven (preheated to 150°C/300°F) for 5 to 8 minutes, keeping an eye on the cooking.
- Flatten the shapes once they're out of the oven, while they're still flexible.
- Embroider 6 squares measuring 9.5 cm (3-3/4 inches) each side in a couching stitch, on the top of the game.
- Sew the 4 fabric strips to border the game board, starting at the wrong side of the lining and sewing through to the right side of the top fabric, making sure to sew through both layers of fabric.
- Sew a little drawstring bag to hold the pieces.
Source: "Les tutos de Pamina" ("Pamina's Tutorials")