A hobby horse from a broomstick is a very simple craft idea that can be made with children.
It's an indispensable accessory for any Zorro, knight, cowboy, or other genre costume.
Future knights, to your mounts!
- 1 broomstick (or bamboo stick, or any stick that's 1 m/40 inches long)
- 1 big black or dark brown sock (30-40 cm/12-16 inches long)
- 1 thick rubber band
- Bullion fringe (60 cm/2 ft)
- Several pairs of buttons
- 2 squares of thick felt (10 x 10 cm/4 x 4 inches)
- 1 small bell
- 1 ribbon
- Sewing needle
- Stuff the sock until it's about 25 cm (10 inches) in diameter.
- Push one end of the broomstick into the stuffing and secure it there with the rubber band, making sure that the head is perpendicular to the broomstick.
- Fold each felt square as shown in the photo below.
- Cut a half-circle at the base.
- Attach the ears to the head with a button.
- Sew the fringe on in the form of a mane, hiding as much of the rubber band as possible.
- Arrange the ribbon in the form of a harness and secure it in place with a few stitches.
- Sew on two buttons for eyes and another two for nostrils.
- Sew the bell on at the base of the head.
Source: Et moi alors dans tout ça !