Looking for a creative way to use those fabric scraps? Need a way to hang all those reminder notes you write to yourself? These personalized magnets and pushpins by Megan at Brassy Apple are simple to make and stunning to display. Even children can enjoy this project!
- Decorative glass gems, flat on one side
- Magnets or flat-headed pushpins, large enough to support a gem
- Craft glue (like E6000)
- Patterned fabric or scrapbook paper
- Fusible interfacing or fleece (optional)
- Fabric marker or pen, to trace with
- Glue gun (optional)
- Lay out fabric and trace gems onto it.
- Cut around the gem in a small square.
NB: The separate pieces are easier to work with than several gems on one piece of fabric.
- Optional: Fuse interfacing or fleece to the back of the precut squares on the wrong side of the fabric for a finished look that won't fray when you cut it.
- Cut out circles around gems.
- Use a toothpick to apply glue to the right side of the fabric, a medium-sized dot in the center of each circle.
- Place gem on top of glue and press down firmly and evenly.
NB: Be sure to work out as many glue bubbles as possible.
- With craft glue or glue gun, attach magnets to the back of gems.
- Place right side up to dry.
- Follow above steps, substituting flat-headed pushpins for magnets.
- Place pin side up to dry.
Source: Brassy Apple