A purse by function, featherlight by weight, and eye-catching by design, this very detailed how-to comes from Nadja.
Creation time: 1h
- 25 cm (9-7/8 inches) fabric for the bag
- 25 cm (9-7/8 inches) fabric for the lining
- 8 x 140 cm (3-1/8 x 55-1/8 inches) strip of fabric for the pleating
- 4 x 90 cm (1-9/16 x 35-7/16 inches) strip of fabric for the loops (or ribbon measuring 1 x 80 cm/3/8 x 31-1/2 inches)
- 70 cm (27-9/16 inches) cord or ribbon for the handles
- Matching sewing thread
- Sheet of scrap paper
- Essential sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Paper scissors
- Wooden pencil
- Download and print the purse template.
- Trace the templates on paper (the dimensions listed are for the finished piece).
- Cut out templates.
- Cut pieces A and B in the fabric for the bag (here, the red toile de Jouy).
- Cut pieces C and D in the fabric for the lining (here, the dotted red).
- Cut piece E in the fabric for the pleating (here, the striped red).
- Cut piece F in the fabric for the loops (here, the red cotton fabric with white dots).
- Fold piece E in half lengthwise, right sides together.
- Sew with a running stitch, 1 cm (3/8 inch) from the edge, the 2 far ends.
- Turn it right side out and press the fold with an iron.
- Pin piece E onto the right side of piece A at the middle and ends to hold it in place.
- Form and pin the pleats, about 1 cm (3/8 inch) each.
- Sew the pleating with a running stitch at 1 cm (3/8 inch) from the edge.
- On piece F, make a fold to bring in the fabric by 1 cm (3/8 inch) on each side.
- Fold it in half and pin along its length.
- Sew a running stitch at 2 mm (1/32 inch) from the edge.
- Cut the resulting piece into 16 equal pieces.
- Fold each piece in half to form the loops.
- Pin them on A and B, following the reference points.
- Sew the loops on with a running stitch, 1 cm (3/8 inch) from the edge.
- Pin A to B, right sides together.
- Sew a running stitch, following the stitching on the pleating.
- Turn the piece right side out and make a fold of 1 cm (3/8 inch) toward the inside along the top edge.
- Pin C and D, right sides together.
- Sew a running stitch at 1 cm (3/8 inch) from the edge.
- Make a fold of 1 cm (3/8 inch) toward the outside, along the top edge.
- Slip C/D inside A/B, pinning them together with their stitches aligned.
- Sew them together at 2 mm (1/32 inch) from the edge.
- Cut the ribbon or cord in half.
- Pass the ribbon through the loops.
- Knot each end of the ribbons.