With its Slavic air, this flannel matryoshka glasses case makes a great fashion accessory.
With some time and the proper ambition, you can create matryoshka glasses cases of all sizes for the whole family!
Level: Easy for the experienced seamstress, intermediate for the beginner
Creation time: 1h 30 mn for an experienced seamstress, not including drying and painting time; a little more for the beginner
- 32 x 9 cm (12-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches) of leftover flowered cotton fabric
- 22 x 19 cm (8-5/8 x 7-1/2 inches) of leftover polka-dotted cotton fabric
- 22 x 19 cm (8-5/8 x 7-1/2 inches) of leftover flannel
- 1.5 m (5 ft) of matching bias tape
- Fabric paint
- Matching sewing thread
- Hook-and-loop fastener (Velcro), a small piece
- Essential sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Small paintbrush
- Paper scissors
- Computer printer (optional)
Make the pieces
- Download the coin purse pattern and print it.
- A, 2 times in the polka-dotted fabric, 2 times in the flannel, and 2 times in the flowered fabric,
- B, 2 times in the polka-dotted fabric and 2 times in the flowered fabric,
- C and D in the flowered fabric.
- Paint the Russian doll face with fabric paint on D.
- Let dry.
- Set the colors with an iron, following the manufacturer's instructions.
Assemble the case
- Sew the 2 sides of the hook-and-loop fastener onto the B pieces of the flowered fabric.
- Pin C and D onto the A pieces in polka-dotted fabric.
- Sew the bottom of C and D (the edge of the headscarf) with a tight zigzag stitch.
- Pin each set of A and B pieces together, wrong sides together, putting the flannel between them.
- Sew a running stitch at 5 mm (1/16 inch) from the edge.
- Apply bias tape to the top of each piece.
- Pin the two pieces together, hook-and-loop fastener against hook-and-loop fastener.
- Sew together with a running stitch, following the template's stitch line.
- Apply bias tape to the stitching you just finished.
- Put your glasses in their case.